When it’s cold outside, animals and insects aggressively look for ways to turn your home’s attic or roof spaces into a safe haven. Have you had a welcome mat out for them all winter?
Here are some favorite points of entry for uninvited critters:
- Gaps or missing pieces of fascia or soffit
- Openings in exterior cladding or siding
- Open or ajar gable vents or windows
- Openings at the ridge or ridge vent
- Open or uncapped chimneys
So who are these unwanted guests? Usually they are birds, bats, squirrels, raccoons, mice, bees and/or rats. Here are some common signs of infestation you can look for:
- Scurrying and scratching sounds
- Signs of gnawing on wood and electrical cables
- Signs of animal or bird droppings
- Signs of urination
- Hives or nests present
Spring is a great time to have your roof thoroughly inspected to make sure your roof is properly sealed and there are no current insect of animal infestations. These unwanted pests could cause serious problems, including damage to the roof, attic structure, and electrical wiring, the spreading of disease, and the added risk of fire.